Wednesday 23 July 2014

Creating a Budget for Fun When You Have a Mental Illness

Living with a mental illness for over Twenty years, I have had learned different ways to have fun even on a tight budget.  Being someone with an illness of such, I never really truly landed the high end jobs leading to a thriving career.  Not to say that I will never do so.  Personally the stress of an illness, the stigmas within these illnesses have led me to have a leaner budget.  Still though able to handle my finances and basic necessities, I learned to have fun creatively on limited earnings.  At first it was rough.  I wasn't easily able to go to the movies, even on a cheapy night, go golfing, out with friends, or a casual night out at a restaurant.  I became use to it over time mind you and learned many ways to have fun, even when money was on the light side.

Gardening was something that I thought I would never partake in and get any enjoyment out of, later it became my easy as well as incredibly fun and relaxing activity to enjoy through out all the spring and summer months.  I began to go on hikes and enjoy the scenery and nature surounding me.  Going to the beach on a hot day is just a ten minute drive from where I live, also there are so many fresh water beaches that I can actually take my pick at what beach to visit on that hot August day.  Things that I never thought would be fun, became my greatest joys even on such a tight budget.

Finding that extra special trinket at a garage sale is so much more enjoyable, spending a whole afternoon going from house to house and looking for that great find is a great way to spend your time.  There was a time in my life where I did make a lot of money, I would shop without even thinking and before I knew it the shopping cart would be full and the pieces of clothing would usually wind up piled in the back of my closet.  Now I find so much value in the little things in life. Visits with famiy, having afternoon barbeques, going for mid night rides are all great ways to spend time with the ones you love without having to break the bank.

The great thing about having less money I would say is that you tend to enjoy the simplisities.  I became accustomed very quickly to learn to enjoy a home made meal rather then at any restaurant.  Watching movies on television became so much more enjoyable then going out to the movies and spending fourty dollars and then maybe not liking the movie you choose.

I use to enjoy writing, journalising and creating stories.  This was such a low cost activity that later became my passion and purpose in life.  I write now and have become published as an author dealing with subjects on mental health recovery within the family.  Through all the years of picking up a pen for enjoyment and having less time for material fun, I found my calling, passion, career and purpose all while doing it on a creative budget.

Now, the little things mean so much, when I see a flower that I planted bloom in my garden, when I find that piece of furniture that I so wanted that would have cost me an arm and a leg, now only a fraction of the cost, trinkets at garage sales, beaches and family visits all mean so much more then any luxury item.  I found freedom within this and a sense of myself.  More value and time for less!!  There are always ways to have fun on a budget, whether you have an illness or not.  If you have kids; I know some of my friends who are Mom's have their kids making crafts all day, making up a game, sorting through a puzzle or going fishing.  These things are so easy to do and not only are they fun they are attainable to everyone.  Enjoy the smaller things in life, they do tend to give so much more pleasure! xxoo

Tamara Thompson
Author
Before You Were Born
Happy Birthday Jack
Poems Of a Codependant

www.chipmunkapublishing.co.uk
www.amazon.com
chapters/indigo 

No comments:

Post a Comment