Sunday 8 February 2015

Working Out the Kinks; No Guilt, No Crutch, No Excuse.



I am Very, Yes VERY proud to say my Mother and Father, and others along the way have all helped raise a child and young adult with a Mental Illness.  They are wonderful for caring not allowing me personally to have a crutch and lean on such crutches when it suits me.  That to me is an invaluable way of dealing with any child, mental illness or not and it was a good way to deal with me. I commend all the parents out there who bring up their Young children not allowing them to have a crutch that will dangle in every area of life, no matter where they go.

I have not written in this blog for a very long time, Since New Years.  I was reflecting, like so many of us do on the last year, the new year...Working out all the KINKS in my life.  I learned from my parents and loved ones, to not be a victim and if I was it was not for long.  It can't be easy for parents to show the way instead of make the way.  It can't be easy to Let It Be, It can't be easy to instead of feeding into such illnesses and sweeping everything under the carpet, when the underlying issue is still there; to make one stronger, more self sufficient, more independent.  Even if there is a guilt factor in the way, rising above the feeling of guilt to nurture instead of feed the illness and the crutch.  That it becomes a cycle of guilt, crutch and excuses.  I really do commend many, not just parents for taking the reins, working out the kinks of life's ups and downs, working out the guilt factor, the crutch people lean on and excuse after excuse.  It is much harder to help someone grow and learn, no matter illness or not, teach lessons instead of easy fixes.

I have done a lot of soul searching in many areas of life lately.    It is much easier to rescue, make things nice and easy.  Though it does not serve anyone in the long run, hurts rather then helps.

For me personally, I did learn the hard way, but I did learn, still of course have much learning to do.  Most do learn the hard way my Mother always said.  There is a whole world out there for enjoyment, gratitude of love and living.  Instead of Guilt, Crutch and excuses and no living, no taking chances and no growth.

The best thing my Parents did for me ever was to make sure that I can rely on myself, my inner being to get by in life, overcoming many issues along the way instead of the same one repeatedly.  When I learn something new, knowing another lesson is on the way, I am glad I don't have the same burden of problems over and over makes me very proud, not of myself.  For my parents, stepping back and having a BELIEF in ME, that I too can overcome, while working out the kinks and petty things that come into everyone's life.  Yes I say it is My illness, because it is no one elses to deal with but mine.  I call it mine, because that to me is ownership of my behaviour, my dealings here and there, my problems.  Not one of my family members have to feel guilty, because I have NO crutch and no Excuse.

They say you can lead a horse to water, but you can not make them drink...I am so glad, that I was lead to water and Drank the whole river!

No comments:

Post a Comment