Sunday 10 August 2014

Get Your Stress Skates On

We all know of the days that you can just simply wake up on the wrong side of the bed.  Some days, we may feel ready for anything and things are going just right.  What happens though when you have a problem, something that lurkes overhead for months even years and you just can't tackle the issue.  When it comes to Mental Health, that is often the case.  It is a real learned trait to focus on the positive.  It becomes imperative that people with Mental Illnesses puts on their stress skates everyday.  I know too well how it is to feel the pain that comes along with Mental Health.  At first, yes your jolted out of a life you once knew; only allowing time and space to care for you and your Mental Health.  There will be days that are more difficult then others.  I remember when I was getting better at handling my illness, a year would go by where I wouldn't have any downfalls that, I would then beging thinking..."oh no, what if I become sick again"?

So what does one do when they have a Mental Health issue and still has to tackle each day with having upset in their lives.  Well, patience is a good start.  Don't beat yourself up!  I was told a long time ago that stress is the big trigger for Mental Health.  So where you start, I believe is to eliminate the stressors in your life, whether that be, food intake, toxic people surrounding you, a job you may hate; really there is a huge life issuse; if it isn't right don't do it.  I had to really examin myself..."what do I want out of life"?  Do I want to keep going on this meri go round with knowing that with anything toxic I would then have a downturn in my Mental Health state.  I had to MAKE me happy.  I learned to tie my stress skates everyday-until I was able to handle any burdens that came my way.

So in saying that-here are some full-proof ways to handle and detangle stressors in your life.  For One, find out what makes you happy and do those things as much as possible.  If it is going for a hike, drive, treasure hunting, watching a movie...make sure you are full up of things that trigger a happy response in you.  Next, know who your friends are and who you want in your life.  If there is someone that is just not in step with how you want to behave or be-it may be hard, but if it is toxic enough you really have to part ways.  OR become a person that is equipped with handling the toxicity of your friendship.  Another way to remain healthy and positive; like I said so many times before surround yourself with positivity.  If that means reading every uplifting book that helps you change any negativity please do that, or watching only upliftting happy movies.  Also, picture yourself being happy and what you want out of life.  Work on your goal setting and motivation.  If it starts with painting a room to get you going, or furniture or cleaning all can be great therapy.  Learn what makes you unique-and be proud of who you are.  Another way to keep your skates on and not slide all over the ice, get your rest.  Find out how much rest is needed for you to feel refreshed and ready for the day ahead.  If you need 9 hours sleep and don't feel at your best unless you have that sleep, then make sure you try to go to bed early enough to get your sleep fulfilled.  Find out what hobbies you like.  At first, when I learned I had a Mental Health issue I didn't have a hobby.  Then I said well "why not make self-nurturing and pampering my hobby"?  That hobby in itself brought me to a great 12 years of gaining not only five certificates and diploma's in the field of Aesthetics, but also a Twelve yr. career that I was happy when I nurtured others.  Learn how to self nurture, put a special mask on and soak in the tub, paint those nails, or for men too, go and get that pedicure or massage.

Learn what makes you tick and not slip.  Become aware of you and who you are.  Learn that you are number one in your life.  Become so strong willed that you won't give!.  ALWAYS count your blessings.  Just last week, everynight I went to bed counting my blessings-or saying to myself my gratitude list.  As I woke up I had this cheer and joy in my heart and never felt so alive in the am.  If you hit a chunk of ice while you are skating along lifes ice, and are becoming anxious.  Sit for Ten or so minutes, look around the room, look at five things you like and focus on them.  Could be a vase or a picture, then think of ten or more things you are grateful for. 

There was a time when me and someone special had an upset in our lives.  We went in circle going over the matter for an hour.  Then I said, "OK stop, we looked around the room at objects and named different things we were grateful for.  Ten each, we then had the most terrific night and forgot about our problem at hand and actually never thought of it again!

If you feel you are slipping and none of these tactics work.  Call the crises line in your area, the phone book or internet is a great way to find out a source to talk over with someone who is unbiased.  I know this is Stress 101, but it is where I started and stopped slipping everyday.  Please modify these stress techniques to suit you and your very unique issue or circumstance.  Once you find out what makes you happy and keep doing that, those skates you put on everyday will feel just right, you will be skating through life knowing how to understand different situations, without plumeting to the ground or hitting a wall.  It may sound easy, you may be thinking "OH just read a magical book on positivity, Oh Just count my blessings".  Find out what is positive in your life and what you like and keep making yourself happy.  Be happy with who you are, who you will become and what life has in store for you.  The books may help, or movies...find out what personally gets you out of bed everyday to slap those skates on and keep up with that.  Find out how to destress when you are caught on thin ice.  Carry your tactics around with you everywhere and be aware of the toxicity and if you remain positive, smile, joke, dream, achieve....then your chin will be way high up and you won't hang your chin so low. 

Not everyday is going to be glorified with all that you hoped for, hope for it anyway.  Get up and say "I wonder what wonderful things are in store for me today"  Everyday is different.  You could go to bed feeling the most tremendous pain then the next day wake up and you find out that it is one of the best days you ever had.  You will change and your life will change.  Problems will come and go, fight them hard and be proud that you are strong enough to battle and be alive ready and able to skate through anything like a zig zag around every problem that is put in your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment